With the focus on standardized testing and the increasingly slim budgets, it seems like schools are throwing out art, music, and theater classes left and right. However, many studies have shown that the arts give students a serious academic advantage.
A few statistics on the importance of Arts Education:
- Musical involvement promotes better math skills.
- Arts organizations encourage personal growth
- An interest in a performing art leads to a higher state of motivation; this helps sustain attention
- Music training is linked with both short and long-term memory improvements
- Theater participation helps develop social tolerance
- Music training is associated with an enhanced ability to read
- Involvement in the arts is linked with better academics
- The arts provide new challenges for students already considered successful